SEA understands and has developed interfaces and operational middleware that links diverse and complex synthetic environments, to deliver additional value and affordable benefits by the efficient and seamless integration of existing assets within training and other domains.
- Efficient way to enable collective, joint and multinational training and experimentation
- Integrates existing legacy and future simulations
- Increased re-use of assets via greater interoperability
- Enables interaction between geographically disparate training systems, reducing student travel time and costs
- Augment existing systems with new functionality, adding capability and realism
- Compliant with standard interoperability protocols (e.g. DIS, HLA-e)
- Based upon scalable open architectures and flexible ‘plug-in’ approach
- Demonstrated capability across multiple simulation projects
- Supports Live-Virtual-Constructive (LVC) simulation
SEA has led the development in the UK of standards for the production of re-usable and extendable Virtual Ship simulations. This has resulted in a draft NATO Standardisation Agreement (STANAG 4684) and supporting Allied Naval Engineering Publication (ANEP 84), which includes guidelines for the verification and validation of Virtual Ship simulations.
SEA is the lead contractor for the four year UK Architectures, Interoperability and Management of Simulations (AIMS) research programme. AIMS is being delivered as part of the Dstl Synthetic Environment Tower of Excellence (SE Tower) programme, which enables the Ministry of Defence (MOD), industry and academia to work together to build capability through research into future training and simulation needs.
SEA has also developed the Common Simulation Framework (CSF), an interoperability framework specifically designed to connect current and future systems that require large volumes of data throughput in a high integrity and low latency environment. The CSF is ideally suited to expand and connect in-service and future simulation systems in order to enhance the delivered training scope and capability.