- Department: Maritime Defence
- Job Location: Barnstaple
- Reports to: Launcher Systems Group Executive
- Type: Permanent
A Senior Project Manager position has arisen at SEA We are looking for a Senior Project Manager within the Maritime Defence Division leading and managing complex design and development projects. The successful candidate will maintain excellent customer relationships and consistently deliver promised business results.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
- Achieve budgeted performance of his/her projects, monitor progress against targets, providing detailed forecast updates, initiate actions to maintain or exceed budgeted revenue, gross margin and cash performance and effectively manage all associated Risks and Opportunities;
- Manage stakeholders effectively, maintaining and developing cooperative and constructive relationships with customers, suppliers and SEA staff;
- Deliver and plan projects effectively and professionally in accordance with industry best practice and SEA’s Management System;
- Support business development activities by contributing to, and sometimes leading, the development and preparation of winning proposals;
- Line Manage project staff; setting SMART objectives, monitoring performance, developing personal development plans and conducting annual staff appraisals;
- Set the standard for Project Management in SEA and instil best practice across the company;
- Ensure that SEA has the appropriately skilled workforce for the discipline, fit-for-purpose processes and access to current tools and standards, in order to meet its short and long term business objectives.
- Lead a multi-disciplined project team to meet customer expectations whilst satisfying internal business requirements.
The ideal candidate must be a highly capable, versatile and enthusiastic leader with a track record of successful delivery of complex design and development projects to UK MOD, major defence prime contractors or overseas shipyards.
- Extensive Project Management experience in a complex system / technical environment;
- Experience of managing firm price £5m+ defence systems contracts;
- Strong risk management ability;
- An excellent communicator and able to demonstrate both effective change and conflict management;
- Member of the APM;
- Proven in-depth knowledge and experience of all phases of a project from inception, planning and organisation, monitoring and control, closure - ideally in both the commercial and military environment;
- Understanding of Earned Value Management, Risk Management, Supplier Management;
- Knowledge of different commercial arrangements including Fixed Price Design and Manufacture, Availability-based Service Provision, Time and Materials contracts, etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of best practice Project Management process and metrics;
- Thorough knowledge of Project Management Competences and their application including knowledge of the APM framework;
- Hands-on experience of working with Project Management Tools, such as Microsoft Project, Primavera, ARM, @Risk, Pertmaster, etc.